The country town of Barraba NSW (the hometown of Ruby) recently hosted the Central North Junior Rugby Union Gala Day on the Sunday 21st August 2022, which saw 35 teams go head-to-head in the weekend competition.
The Barraba Junior Rugby Union committee used the Gala weekend as an opportunity to show their support and raise funds for two significant charities for within the local community, Ruby Mae’s Wish and The Westpac Helicopter service.
It was encouraged that that all the participating teams wear purple socks (purple being Ruby’s favourite colour) to show support for Ruby Mae’s Wish and in memory of Ruby. Not only did these legendary kids of all teams all wear purple socks but all the parents of the Barraba Junior Rugby Union Club showed up wearing purple work shirts. The atmosphere and the “sea of purple” was unforgettable and comforting to see how many lives Ruby had touched!
At the end of the Gala weekend, it was announced that through donations from all the participating clubs within the Central North Junior Rugby Competition and individual donations the Gala weekend raised an amazing $5,541.00 for Ruby Mae’s Wish.
The following clubs were present at the Central North Junior Rugby Union Day:
- Barraba Junior Rugby Club
- Quirindi Junior Rugby Club
- Narrabri Junior Rugby Club
- Walcha Junior Rugby Union Club
- Tamworth District Junior Rugby Union Club
- Moree Junior Rugby Union Club
- Armidale Junior Rugby Union Football Club
- Gunnedah Junior Rugby Club
- Scone Junior Rugby Union Club
- Coonabarabran Junior Rugby Club
- Inverell Jnr Rugby